Gospel Music Artist Shirley Joiner Has Passed Away

pinit fg en rect gray 28 Gospel Music Artist Shirley Joiner Has Passed Away

Gospel music artist and pioneer Shirley Joiner passed away on Monday, March 16th. Joiner was the co-founder and co-director of the Southeast Inspirational Choir which launched the career of Yolanda  Adams with the hit “My Liberty”.

My husband has fond memories of Shirley Joiner and her daughter Recee. They held a gospel music workshop at his father’s church a while back and he took voice lessons with Recee at Joiner’s studio in Houston.

When the Southeast Inspirational Choir was first introduced it was very big here in Houston. My mom constantly talked about the choir and the impact it had. She said everyone was surprised when the very tall and skinny Yolanda Adams stepped up to the mike and surprised everyone with her voice.

Shirley Joiner will be missed. She left her mark on gospel music and the staff of 1800Gospel.com extends our sincerest sympathy to the  family.

Sources: GospelLyfe.com
The Black Gospel Blog

pixy Gospel Music Artist Shirley Joiner Has Passed Away
MeterTwo250x250 Gospel Music Artist Shirley Joiner Has Passed Away Gospel Music Artist Shirley Joiner Has Passed Away

Comments

I’m just now finding out about this. This is a huge loss for the gospel world and especially Houston where her work will always be remembered for the Southeast Inspirational Singers. Every time I’m on Griggs and pass by All About Music, I’ll think of her. She was such a warm person, willing to teach you anything she knew. She was such an inspiration to me and so many others here in Houston, she’ll be greatly missed.

Hi lilmama,

I’m glad you mentioned her store, I was trying to remember the name of it. Shirley Joiner was a beautiful person and her loss is a big one for gospel music. Her daughter is a sweetheart too.

3. sister Holmes says

sister Shirley Joiner,will be remembered in my heart,even when I left outreach missionary baptist church I alway’s thought of my director, as a choir memeber she would alway’s get on us about god don’t want know junk,give your best, she was the best and she has has touched so many lives as she passed though this world even mines, grace and peace be with recee and family.

4. Yolanda Ballard Zimmermann says

Ms. Shirley will truly be missed. I grew up with the Messengers for Christ at OMBC and took piano lessons from her. When I revisited some 11 years laters after moving back to Houston, she was one of the first “must see” people on my list. I had to hear “I know he lives” (and you would truly know “He Lives” in her presence. She was truly a wonderful person and will always be remembered. My condolences to her family and her church whom she loved dearly.

5. sis.carol lane says

SHIRLEY JOINER WILL TRULY BE MISSED.I & MY DAUGHTER TOOK LESSONS YEARS
    AGO ON GRIGGS FROM SHE & RECEE. THEY TRULY ARE A BLESSING.SHIRLEY HAS
    TOUCHED THE LIVES OF SO MANY OF US. SHE IS NOW DOING ANGELIC MUSIC IN & FROM HEAVEN ABMOVE. HER WORK IS ONLY DONE DOWN HERE!
    WE LOVE YOU SHIRLEY!

6. OLEVIA TRUSCLAIR says

TO RISE AND FAMILY…
    SYMPATHY FROM OLEVIA TRUSCLAIR, OUTREACH MISS.BAPTIST CHURCH.
    SIS. JOINER WAS MY FIRST CHOIR DIRECTOR. WE WILL TRULY MISS HER.

SHE IS JOINING B & C NOW..(S) FOR SHIRLEY IS THE CIRCLE. NOW THEY ARE ALL
    BACK TOGETHER AGAIN. BCS .

7. Harry says

I extend my deepest condolensed to the extended family of Ms Shirley Joiner
    Ms Shirley will truly be missed in my household. She has been a very dear friend for over 23years. Rise’ currently teaches my children piano. Ms. Shirley was the last of the BCS trio (Brenda, Carl, Shirley) founders of Southeast Inspirational Choir and a great leader, psalmist, writer, and director. As we had done many times before, we laughed and talked at the studio just before she left for Indianapolis to see her brother. I will always remember her big smile. She will not be forgotten. The good thing is that soon and very soon Jesus will awaken her from her slumber and we shall meet again.

8. Roshanna Bridges says

Ms. Shirley will be truly be missed by me and my family. I had the opportunity to work with her for the past 7 years before she reitired as the Minister of Music at OMBC. She hired me 7 years ago as the church organist and I have been at OMBC since then. Now Rise’ is our current Minister of Music. Ms. Shirley always said “Not to give God any junk ” and she meant that with passion. I loved her music every since I was a little girl and to be given the opportunity to play and learn from her was an awesome experience . If you known Ms. Shriley for 2 or 30 years she had an impact on the lives she touch. OMBC and the gospel world has lost a legend, however I know Brenda and Carl were waiting. I can only imagine what the heavenly choir will sound like now since all three have have made their arrival. I love you MS. Shirley.

9. Michele says

I was so saddened to here of the passing of Ms. Joiner. I grew up on BC&S and love their music to this day. My family still sings their songs after all these years and they are the best songs! I am so sad that these great music legends are no longer with us here on earth but I know they will live on in the music. If anyone knows how I can get some BC&S recordings please shoot me an email.

10. Robert Winslow says

To the family and friends of Mrs Shirley. This is a great loss for us all but a big gain for the heavens. May the family be comforted by Gods grace. Shirley is not gone,she just made it home to the place we all are striving for. We have been blessed by God to have had her in our presence for the time He allowed. Thank you Lord for your gift Mrs Shirley.

Anchored in the Lord

11. Jan Lightfoot says

When we hold someone in high regard, it is very disappointment to see him or her commit a serious social blunder. Because of a high regard for Yolanda Adams it was most hurtful and unbelievable that she did not attend Ms. Shirley Joiner’s funeral, neither in person, nor by letter, condolence, telephone, telegram or video gram, just as she did not attend services for Brenda Waters and Carl Preacher. Brenda, Carl and Ms. Shirley trained Yolanda, launched her career and opened the door to her present fame. How sad that she did not pay final respect publically to any of her mentors. This is a sad message to send out to the young—ingratitude—because we are to honor those who have instructed us in the Lord (1Thes 5:12-13). Unlike many pastors, mentors make us greater than they make themselves with pleasure and this is a wonderful thing. I appreciate our mentors because they do what they do for love to bring the best out of us. We must never forget where we have come from or the bridge that brought us over because the people we step-on on the way up we will see them on the way down and no matter how big we are or think we are, we will come down. Many thanks are in order for Brenda Waters, Carl Preacher and Ms. Shirley for the love they gave to all of us that inspired the world to become a better place. This cannot be forgotten. As for as Yolanda, my regard for her has drastically diminished to that of other distant persons whose voices do not reach my ears! I loved BC&S and know they are in a better place but I sure do hate living in this world without them because their smiles made life better for me. Now I cherish the memories and find joy therein.